Why You Need Home Insurance

EmailEmail Print Share

11 Feb 2013

A new house also brings a wealth of new responsibilities. One being that you need to consider what will happen to you, your family or your house if your circumstances change.

No matter how unlikely it may seem, life is full of surprises and you need to plan for every eventuality and make sure that you are covered in a crisis is to have sufficient insurance in place to help you through difficult times.

No matter how unlikely it may seem, life is full of surprises and you need to plan for every eventuality. The best way to make sure that you are covered in a crisis is to have sufficient insurance in place to help you through difficult times.

Craig Young, managing executive of insurance at ooba, South Africa’s biggest bond originator and provider of insurance cover for all property matters, says there are two main types of insurance homeowners should have. “In some cases your bank will insist on some form of cover; in others it is optional – but in all cases it’s a good idea.”

Buildings insurance is one of the most important policies you will buy as it covers the structure of your home, the permanent fixtures and fittings and against damage caused as a result of unexpected events like fire, flood and lightning. Your bank will insist that you have this cover, but they can’t force you to take their insurance offering. However, you can get buildings insurance cover from any accredited insurer, allowing you to compare costs, coverage, benefits, reputation and service.

Young says buildings insurance protects your home from costly damage caused by unforeseen circumstances, such as if your geyser bursts, the insurance will cover its replacement and any consequential loss up to a certain limit such as the costs of home repairs and painting.

“Your home is usually your most expensive asset, but maintaining a home can be expensive, and when unplanned events occur, it’s incredibly beneficial to have this kind of insurance as a lifeline,” says Young, adding that this is why banks make it compulsory, because they are safeguarding your assets.

Bond protection insurance

A small monthly payment now can save you from financial strain later.

When you consider buying a property, you work out whether you can afford the repayments and if you’ve had your bond approved, obviously your bank thinks so too. But you and your bank have to count on you remaining employed and in good health.

Young says it is important to consider what would happen to you and your family if you were unable to pay your bond for any period of time and bond protection insurance provides comprehensive cover in the event of death, disability, dread disease or retrenchment.

Your bank may not insist that you have this type of cover, but Young advises you consider it, nonetheless. “No one likes to think of bad luck befalling them, but if something bad does happen to you, the best outcome is that you or your family won’t lose your home,” he says.

What it costs

When you’re buying a house, the last thing you want is an extra expense. However, a small monthly payment now can save you from financial strain later. But you’ll want to know exactly how much it will cost you and whether you’re getting the best deal.

Young says because insurance cover can be tailor made for your specific circumstances, taking into account your situation as well as the value of your house, it’s impossible to put a straightforward cost to bond protection and buildings insurance.

For buildings insurance, the structure of your house which is what the building and the roof are made of, as well as the type of residency either holiday home or permanent residence, all play a role in the risk assessment and therefore, the cost of your premiums. This type of cover will be subject to exclusions and excesses, but will cover the bulk of your expenses if the loss forms part of an insured event.

For bond protection insurance, your premiums are determined in line with various socio-economic factors which include monthly income, age, gender, smoker status and level of education. However, with a product like ooba’s Bond Protector no medical clearance is required and you can qualify for cover up to R1.25 million (pre-existing conditions may be excluded).

ooba’s insurance offering is made up of buildings insurance and bond protection insurance tailor made for your specific needs, from the home loan experts. And ooba offers the convenience of taking out insurance at the time of applying for your bond.

Similar Articles

Failure to obtain an Electric Fence Compliance Certificate...

Renovations can boost your property's value and ensure you...

‘Vis major’ is a legal term referring to a superior force...

View all articles

Top Articles

A UCT architectural student tackles social, economic and...

If you’re a first-time buyer earning R3 501 to R15k per...

With a big influx of people from Gauteng moving to the...

View all articles
Top Articles
10 Feb 2016
Morningside, Rivonia, Rosebank and Bryanston will see much residential d...
10 Feb 2016
Offering sophisticated retirement living, Lazuli Coastal Lifestyle Estat...
10 Feb 2016
The new multi-million rand Tugela Ferry Mall and Jozini Shopping Centre ...
10 Feb 2016
A UKZN architecture student has proposed an environmental research facil...
10 Feb 2016
Offering the ultimate seaside retreat, Flamingo Bay is being developed o...
Get the latest property news.
Select your options:

Your browser is out of date!

It looks like you are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer.

If you are using Internet Explorer 8 or higher, please verify that your Internet Explorer compatibility view settings are not enabled.

For the best browsing experience, update to the latest Version of Internet Explorer or try out Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.

Please contact our Property24 Support Team for further assistance. Tel. +27 (0)861 111 724