South Africa’s Number 1 Property Website!

Who's liable to fix damp in my unit?

Email Print Share
News24 marketing banner

03 Jun 2013

A Property24 reader asks: 

A Property24 reader says she lives in a complex and asks who is liable for damp repairs to the interior walls in her unit.

I live in a complex and my interior walls have all become damp and have started to bubble, blow up and burst. This is due to dampness occurring from pipes running through the wall. That means it is dampness occurring from a common wall shared with my neighbour. The dampness occurs both on external walls and internal walls.

I would like to know who is liable to fix this? Am I liable as the owner or is it the body corporate?

Jennifer Paddock, Specialist Sectional Title Attorney and Managing Partner of Paddocks, sectional title and homeowners' association specialists, advises:

If you are right that the moisture is coming from pipes in the shared wall and those pipes are taking water not only to your section but also to other sections or the common property then the body corporate is responsible for the maintenance and repair and similarly will be responsible to reimburse you the cost of any repairs to your section caused by the leaking pipes.

If the pipe only serves your section and the faulty area of the pipe is situated in your section, then you would be responsible for the area of the pipe situated in your section and the resultant damp repairs.

Readers may submit questions to Property24’s Guest Expert panel and/or comment below. We may not be able to answer all questions received, but all will be considered. 

Similar Articles

View all articles

Top Articles

View all articles
Top Articles
More property articles...


Get the latest property news in your inbox.
Select your options:

Your browser is out of date!

It looks like you are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer.

If you are using Internet Explorer 8 or higher, please verify that your Internet Explorer compatibility view settings are not enabled.

For the best browsing experience, update to the latest Version of Internet Explorer or try out Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.

Please contact our Property24 Support Team for further assistance. Tel. +27 (0)861 111 724