Shopping at the new Makro Cape Gate

19 Sep 2012

A whole new world of shopping is in store for residents in the northern suburbs of Cape Town following the opening of the new Makro store.

With a trading area of 16 513 square metres and 811 parking bays, Makro Cape Gate is a new “urban design store” which is very different from other Makro stores, featuring aesthetic changes which assist the store in blending into its urban surroundings.

It is located on the corner of Okavango and Belami Roads, Brackenfell, conveniently accessible off the N1.

With a trading area of 16 513 square metres and 811 parking bays, Makro Cape Gate is a new “urban design store” which is very different from other Makro stores, featuring aesthetic changes which assist the store in blending into its urban surroundings.

Nedbank has further demonstrated its commitment to the retail sector by not only providing finance for this new Makro store, but also holding a significant equity stake through its property partners division.

Richard Thomas, regional executive at Nedbank Corporate Property Finance, Cape, notes that this is the first example of a Nedbank property partnership deal such as this.

“As the market leader in the commercial property finance industry, Nedbank has provided the finance to Cape Gate Crescent Developments (Pty) Ltd for completion of the project. 

“Nedbank Property Partners holds an 85 percent stake in the development, with Eris Property Group (Pty) Ltd holding the remaining 15 percent,” he says.

Thomas says demand for a Makro trading store in the area is strong, evidenced by a very successful opening in Montague Gardens last October which resulted in record sales for the mass merchant.

Offering something unique to retail, commercial and reseller customers, Makro is owned by Massmart, a Johannesburg Stock Exchange listed company which is in turn 51 percent owned by Walmart. Makro currently has 16 stores countrywide including two stores in the Western Cape.

The Makro store layout comprises retail warehousing space, an open floor or trading area, a separate liquor store right next door to the main store, a butchery, food including groceries, fresh fruit and vegetables, and various other speciality departments, including technology, multi-media, outdoor and an office supplies component. 

The store has been built with the environment in mind which reduces its carbon footprint dramatically.

Green aspects include abundant natural light to reduce the amount of electricity required, motion sensors in all the offices and storage rooms which reduce both consumption and start-up current, environmentally friendly air-conditioning and refrigeration systems, water-wise solutions and a green plant buffer between adjoining residents and the store.

These green aspects go hand-in-hand with Nedbank’s philosophy of ensuring a sustainable environment, a practice it is committed to.

Although retail foot traffic has increased significantly over the past decade, Makro is still very much a stockist for commercial and reseller customers, including spaza shop owners, corporates, small businesses, convenience stores and even franchisees of other retail chains, says Chris Nezar, marketing director for Makro South Africa.

The layout of Makro Cape Gate also makes it easier for the larger commercial customer to shop as it has  a dedicated check out area completely separate from the retail side, metal cages to hold stock for them overnight if necessary and a wide overhanging roof to make collection even easier, especially when it rains.”

Thomsa explains that this partnership underscores Nedbank Corporate Property Finance’s commitment to the industry as it invests in platforms aimed to uplift and empower stakeholders.

 Eris is a well-respected property development and services group which provides a range of commercial property skills in the South African and Sub-Saharan African markets.

The company currently has R5.2 billion in developments under construction which includes offices, retail and specialist developments, he says.

Nedbank owns 100 percent of the remainder of the site on which Makro Cape Gate is built, which totals four hectares in extent.

Email Print Share

Similar Articles

View all articles

Top Articles

View all articles
Top Articles
More property articles...

Newsletter

Get the latest property news in your inbox.
Select your options:

Your browser is out of date!

It looks like you are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer.

If you are using Internet Explorer 8 or higher, please verify that your Internet Explorer compatibility view settings are not enabled.

For the best browsing experience update to the latest Version of Internet Explorer or try out Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.


Please contact our Customer Service Centre for further assistance. Tel. +27 (0)861 111 724