03 Apr 2013
There are many days earmarked on the calendar to help make us aware of various environmental issues, however, being environmentally conscious should be an everyday occurrence and habit.
Mr Power shares a few tips on how to save electricity on any budget…
Saving electricity without spending a cent
1. Reduce your electricity usage by switching off lights and plug points – basically anything that draws a current and isn’t in use.
2. Avoid using the hot water tap whenever possible e.g. wash hands in cold water.
3. When showering, have the water off while washing your hair and soaping your body. Apply the same concept when brushing your teeth.
4. Set your geyser thermostat down.
5. As much as 85 percent of the energy used to machine-wash clothes goes to heating the water so whenever possible wash your clothes in cold water.
Saving electricity by spending R1 500 – R3 000
1. Install a Geyser Controller as it checks the current during the pre-programmed time period, which means it switches off the circuit at the optimum time.
2. Replace your showerhead with a water efficient alternative.
3. Change your down-lights to LEDs. These are locally manufactured and are available as dimmables.
4. Invest in a clothes dryer that doesn’t use electricity.
5. While most people are aware of a geyser blanket to assist with insulation, the lagging of the hot water outlet pipe is just as important because this is where much of the heat loss occurs.
Saving electricity with a sky's-the-limit budget
1. Install solar geysers.
2. Install a heat pump.
3. Insall solar panels or Photovoltaic (PV) to use the sun’s power for electricity.
4. Investigate and invest in a Grid Tie Inverter that requires no batteries.
Townhouse for sale in Birchleigh North R 650 000
Townhouse for sale in Birchleigh North R 610 000
House for sale in Cresslawn R 800 000
Apartment / Flat for sale in Birch Acres R 850 000
Townhouse for sale in Wonderboom R 750 000
House for sale in Birch Acres R 750 000
Vacant Land / Plot for sale in Ballito R 1 650 000
House for sale in Montana R 2 600 000
House for sale in Marina Martinque R 2 220 000
Apartment / Flat for sale in Uvongo R 815 000
If you are using Internet Explorer 8 or higher, please verify that your Internet Explorer compatibility view settings are not enabled.
For the best browsing experience update to the latest Version of Internet Explorer or try out Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
Please contact our Customer Service Centre for further assistance. Tel. +27 (0)861 111 724