Recourse to Agent for Tenant Damage?

EmailEmail Print Share
News24 marketing banner

24 Jan 2013

A Property24 reader asks:

Do I have recourse to the rental agent for tenants damaging my property?

I have a house in the northern suburbs of Johannesburg for which a well-renowned agency found me a tenant.  Unfortunately the tenant took 10 Nigerians for the house who were then operating a drugs laboratory and caused damage estimated at R300 000.

Would I have recourse to the agent?

Marlon Shevelew, specialist rental and eviction attorney at Cape-based legal firm Marlon Shevelew and Associates replies:

Depending on the action of the rental agent there could very well be claim in delict (damages).

Rental agents have a duty to screen tenants and protect their landlord by placing suitable tenants in terms of Common law, Contractual law and in this instance Consumer Protection law, more particularly section 54 of the Consumer Protection Act (CPA) which clearly sets out the services that a Landlord (a consumer) is entitled to expect of a Rental Agent (a supplier).

It would be necessary, however, to establish a direct link between the actions or inaction of the Rental Agent and the damages that were caused to the premises. This would take some investigation.

Readers may submit questions to Property24’s Guest Expert panel and/or comment below. We may not be able to answer all questions received, but all will be considered. 

About the Author
Marlon Shevelew

Marlon Shevelew

Marlon Shevelew is the Director of Marlon Shevelew and Associates Inc., a Cape Town Law firm, specialising in Rental Property, Contractual, Consumer and Company law. Mr Shevelew is a National Legal Advisor and/or presenter of rental property seminars with the Institute of Estate Agents (IEASA), Tenant Profile Network (TPN), PAYPROP, the University of Cape Town (UCT) and is a monthly guest expert on the “Law Report” on SAfm. Mr Shevelew also created the unique Rental Retainer Club which offers affordable legal fees to clients.

Similar Articles

What happens when a relationship deteriorates, or when one...

A reader says they bought a property where the tenant has...

A Property24 reader asks how long the landlord can hold...

View all articles

Top Articles

When decorating as a couples it’s important to make...

Morningside, Rivonia, Rosebank and Bryanston will see much...

Offering sophisticated retirement living, Lazuli Coastal...

View all articles
Top Articles
09 Feb 2016
Buyers are willing to pay a premium for homes near top Western Cape scho...
09 Feb 2016
Teams in the Six Nations Championship will be battling it out on the rug...
09 Feb 2016
A new flexible co-work facility, One Chadwick Co-Working Space, is being...
09 Feb 2016
From revitalising the Boet Erasmus Stadium in Port Elizabeth to restorin...
09 Feb 2016
Actual property prices are expected, even by the most conservative forec...
Get the latest property news.
Select your options:

Your browser is out of date!

It looks like you are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer.

If you are using Internet Explorer 8 or higher, please verify that your Internet Explorer compatibility view settings are not enabled.

For the best browsing experience, update to the latest Version of Internet Explorer or try out Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.

Please contact our Property24 Support Team for further assistance. Tel. +27 (0)861 111 724