There are agencies that get more than 200 full views per listing per month on Property24. Why are these agents' listings so successful in attracting views? P24 consultant Louis van der Vyfer gives some tips on how to get it right.
"While looking at the listing statistics on Property24.com I noticed there are agencies that get more than 200 full views per listing per month. Why are these agents' listings so successful in attracting views?
"There are certain basics that are important when you do a listing on the Internet on Property24.com. The Internet is a powerful tool. But there are also certain things you can do to make your listings more effective:
1. Add enough information. So many agents list properties but add no description in the "Internet Comment" field in the Listing Software. Use words to sell your properties. You can also add a description next to bedrooms, bathrooms and kitchen.
2. Add enough photos. Many agents add only one photo. Explain to the seller the importance of photos and then take as many photos as you can. You can add up to 16 photos per listing. Take as many shots as you can and then select the 16 best photos.
3. The quality of the photos is important. Buy a book on photography or do a photography course. Learn how to use a digital camera properly.
4. Use the description to sell the property.
5. The first photo is important as this is the photo that is displayed when a potential buyer does a search. Use a good quality 'first photo' that will get the attention of the buyer.
6. Make sure your listings on Property24 are up to date.
7. Make sure your agency logo is displayed next to your listing. If you are not sure how to do this please contact our Helpdesk on 0860 11 9090.
8. After you have uploaded a listing go to the Internet and view the listing. Make sure the listing and all its photos display correctly.
9. Send yourself an SMS via your listing on the Property24 website to make sure it is working.
10. Make sure your contact information is correct.
11. Get into the habit of updating your listings weekly.
12. Check your listings "Page View Stats" often. Look at listings that receive many views and try and figure out why. Also look at listings that only received a few views and try and improve the listingby adding more photos, adjusting the selling price etc.
13. Use the Reporting Software to download and view your listings. Make sure you know when your listings are going to expire and be removed from the Property24 website. If listings need to be extended then extend the 'listing period'.
14. Become computer literate. It is never too late.
15. You can also use Property24 as a canvassing tool to get sole agency mandates. Tell sellers you are going to list their property on Property24.com. The portal recently won the CNBC International Property Awards for the best property portal in South Africa
, making it a good place to be listed.
16. List a seller's property and then email or SMS the seller the listing number, so he/she knows the listing is up.
17. You can also paste a link into the email to make it easy for the seller or buyer to click and go directly to the listing.
18. Add the Property24.com website address on your business card.
19. Get the email addresses of buyers and investors you meet and email them new listings - either send the listing number or a direct link to the listing.
20. Go to the Property24 website and email your listing to a prospective buyer using the Email button. You can also first email the listing to yourself and then format the email to your liking. Then you can forward the listing to a potential buyer.
21. When you make a listing select the area (suburb) carefully. In certain cities and towns agents list their properties only under the city. (E.g. Stellenbosch
: Stellenbosch and not Stellenbosch: Central
or Stellenbosch: Universitydsoord) Get to know your city and suburbs on Property24.
22. Advise your buyers to register for Property Alerts on Property24's website. As soon as a new Property is listed they will receive a mail with a link to the listing. To register, go to Property24's website and click on Property Alerts in the Toolbox.
23. If your Buyers are registered for Property Alerts the sooner you do your listings the sooner they will be alerted of a new property listing.