High Demand for Newcastle Homes

EmailEmail Print Share
News24 marketing banner

28 Nov 2012

Newcastle was once a Post Halt between Durban and Johannesburg but has now grown into the largest city and urban hub of northern KwaZulu-Natal, with a population of over 422 000 citizens.

This townhouse has two bedrooms and two bathrooms. It is secure behind gated walls with an electric gate and the kitchen has an abundance of built-in cupboards. It is priced at R750 000 - click here to view.

The vast development can largely be credited to the discovery of coal in the region that brought an era of prosperity and increased interest in the area.

Newcastle is located in the North West corner of the Natal province along the Ncandu River, and is awash with history. The area has a number of memorials and monuments that pay tribute to the soldiers of the Boer wars.

Construction on the town hall started in 1897 to commemorate Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee. By 1891, the town was declared a district and today Newcastle is the seat of the local municipality as well as being the seat of the Amajuba District Municipality. Although, it is no longer a junction between the two provinces of KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng, Newcastle still attracts many visitors wanting to explore the historical battle sites located just outside of town.

Adrian Goslett, CEO of RE/MAX of Southern Africa, says they recently opened an office in Newcastle, due to the fact that the property market has shown remarkable growth over the past few years.

This three bedroom, two bathroom house has two garages. The kitchen has open plan living spaces and a centre island. It is priced at R920 000 - click here to view.

Goslett says property prices in the area range from R115 000 for a vacant stand to R3.3 million for a large family home. The average price for a sectional title unit to date was R465 000, while the average price paid for a freestanding home was R962 000.

According to Lightstone data, a majority of the recent buyers are from 36 to 49 years old who make up 44.74 percent of buyers in the area and 33.33 percent of the recent sellers in the area were 65 years or older.

The demand for freestanding homes outweighs any other type of property, as they are out-selling sectional title units two to one, with 25 transfers having taken place between November 2011 and October 2012, which is double that of sectional title units, where only 13 transfers took place.

Goslett says this could be attributed to the fact that 74.06 percent of the properties are freestanding homes, while sectional title units make up the remaining 25.94 percent. Currently the biggest movement in the market is homes that fall into the R400 000 to R800 000 bracket, followed by properties in the R800 000 to R1.5 million category, indicating a demand for well-priced family homes.

Similar Articles

Located between Cape Town and Cape Point, Hout Bay offers...

Are you a sophisticated, modern professional ready to get...

We think of lavish mansions adorning the mountain slopes,...

View all articles

Top Articles

Located between Cape Town and Cape Point, Hout Bay offers...

Allergies are notorious for causing itchy eyes, sneezing...

Are you a sophisticated, modern professional ready to get...

View all articles
Top Articles
05 Feb 2016
Are you a sophisticated, modern professional ready to get a foothold in ...
05 Feb 2016
Comprising 2 000sqm and 29 shops, Blouberg Mall in Kareedouw in the East...
05 Feb 2016
Fine & Country Zimbabwe recently opened a new office in Borrowdale, an u...
05 Feb 2016
We think of lavish mansions adorning the mountain slopes, but you can st...
04 Feb 2016
Buying hotel apartments either to place in a rental pool or for personal...
Get the latest property news.
Select your options:

Your browser is out of date!

It looks like you are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer.

If you are using Internet Explorer 8 or higher, please verify that your Internet Explorer compatibility view settings are not enabled.

For the best browsing experience, update to the latest Version of Internet Explorer or try out Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.

Please contact our Property24 Support Team for further assistance. Tel. +27 (0)861 111 724