25 Aug 2011
Wicker is a perfect choice for outdoor furniture on your patio, deck or porch. It is sturdy and has a look that almost demands to be shown off outdoors. If you have some wicker furniture that you love, but it needs a new, cleaner look, you can save money and spruce it up yourself. Following some simple steps will make the process easy and rewarding.
You can easily revamp or restore wicker furniture in a couple of hours and we show you how.
This wicker set in our garden had been kept outside for a few years. It was falling apart and the small table was so brittle that it crumbled to the touch. The chair was in slighter better condition and, although still sturdy, needed some careful fixing.
The plan was to use it as sunroom or garden decoration (somewhere for the cat to snooze), rather than a full weight-bearing role, so the wicker didn't need to be 100% restored.
1. Use a 2mm bit to drill holes and insert stainless steel wire to secure any legs that are out of place or to re-attach loose sections. It also helps to apply some adhesive spray to the joins, as well as to any old nail joins.
2.If any cane spiralling has snapped off during handling, glue it back into position and hold it in place with masking tape until the glue is dry.
3. If you find the wicker missing in some spots, or unravelled in others, brush over it with diluted exterior glue to soften the wicker and let some pieces be retrained and others to fill gaps.
Hold these pieces in places with masking tape until dry.
4. In our chair, the thick cane chair braces had come away from the rusty nails and had broken at the nail entry point.
If that's the case with your chair, hold the braces in position with brass framing nails (which are slim, strong and not prone to rust), and use a dab of adhesive spray for extra support.
5.If the cane binding the joins together has unravelled in a few spots or broken in some places, apply exterior glue, with masking tape to hold in position until dry.
6. After all the glue is dry, prepare for painting by brushing over the wicker with a banister brush to remove dust, old bits of paint and flaking varnish. Some parts of the cane legs may need sanding with fine-grit sandpaper.
7. The set was painted with spray paint in a Berry Pink colour. Paint two light coats as the paint will help to stabilize and strengthen the wicker.
Spray paint is perfect for wicker - indoor or outdoor, and comes in a wide selection of colours.
You can purchase all the tools you need for this wicker re-vamp at your local hardware store.
Article courtesy of: www.home-dzine.co.za
Readers' Comments Have a comment about this article? Email us now.
About the Author
Vacant Land / Plot for sale in Estoire R 599 000
House for sale in Mabopane R 490 000
House for sale in Linmeyer R 2 500 000
House for sale in Pretoria West R 795 000
House for sale in Silverwoods Country Estate R 3 950 000
House for sale in Farrarmere R 1 550 000
House for sale in Zakariyya Park Ext 4 R 450 000
House for sale in Randpark Ridge R 2 990 000
House for sale in Hennenman R 930 000
Vacant Land / Plot for sale in Wavecrest R 495 000
If you are using Internet Explorer 8 or higher, please verify that your Internet Explorer compatibility view settings are not enabled.
For the best browsing experience, update to the latest Version of Internet Explorer or try out Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
Please contact our Property24 Support Team for further assistance. Tel. +27 (0)861 111 724