Can I Get a Home Loan With My Partner?

EmailEmail Print Share

19 Feb 2013

A Property24 reader asks:

A Property24 reader asks how she can go about applying for a joint bond with her partner when they are not married.

I would like find out about how to get a joint bond with my partner when we are not married? 

Jenny Rushin, Western Cape Provincial Sales Manager at bond originator ooba, advises:

Investing in property is usually the biggest financial commitment that any individual will make. Increasingly, people are looking to purchase a home with a friend, sibling or partner to halve the costs and increase the likelihood of bond approval. 

Because the individual burden of bond repayments is halved, obviously the requirements of each partner are lessened. This is called joint affordability – simply put, you each only have to be able to afford half the house. Nonetheless, both partners will be individually assessed; they will need to provide proof of income and have their credit record checked. 

As with any other big commitment, buying a property with someone else is not a decision that should be taken lightly. The partners need to have worked out all the ins and outs of the process before putting pen to offer. 

Both parties should sit down for a serious discussion before the potential property has been identified and the excitement could cloud judgment, and consider what will happen to the property in various different scenarios, for instance if one partner wants to leave or in the unfortunate event that one partner dies. 

The decisions should be made, and then, once the home is purchased, committed to paper – either a contract between the two partners or a will drawn up by a lawyer. Unfortunately, the one thing that co-ownership won't save the partners is paperwork.

Both parties should be willing to disclose any financial issues that might affect the partnership, as they will naturally have to be independently subject to all the same financial assessments by the bank as individual buyers.

The partners who have bought a property together should then either ensure that the costs of buying and maintaining the property are equally shared. If this is not possible, then it is important to keep careful track of both parties' expenses in relation to the property so that the proceeds can be split fairly when the property is sold. 

Readers may submit questions to Property24’s Guest Expert panel and/or comment below. We may not be able to answer all questions received, but all will be considered. 

About the Author
Jenny Rushin

Jenny Rushin

Jenny Rushin is the Provincial Sales Manager at ooba, South Africa’s biggest bond originator, and is an expert in home finance.

Similar Articles

What happens when a relationship deteriorates, or when one...

A reader says they bought a property where the tenant has...

A Property24 reader asks how long the landlord can hold...

View all articles

Top Articles

Whether you’d like to spend time on the glorious coast or...

St Francis Bay in the Eastern Cape is the ideal weekend or...

Overpricing your property usually results in it being sold...

View all articles
Top Articles
11 Feb 2016
Many families are migrating from Gauteng to Ballito for the lifestyle be...
11 Feb 2016
A UCT architectural student tackles social, economic and environmental i...
11 Feb 2016
With a big influx of people from Gauteng moving to the Helderberg Basin,...
10 Feb 2016
Morningside, Rivonia, Rosebank and Bryanston will see much residential d...
10 Feb 2016
Offering sophisticated retirement living, Lazuli Coastal Lifestyle Estat...
Get the latest property news.
Select your options:

Your browser is out of date!

It looks like you are using an outdated version of Internet Explorer.

If you are using Internet Explorer 8 or higher, please verify that your Internet Explorer compatibility view settings are not enabled.

For the best browsing experience, update to the latest Version of Internet Explorer or try out Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.

Please contact our Property24 Support Team for further assistance. Tel. +27 (0)861 111 724