31 Dec 2012
Lauren McGrath and her mother, Suzanne co-authored Good Bones, Great Pieces, a book full of advice regarding how to get your money's worth in home décor.
Here are 9 ways to decorate with a high-low mix of keep-forever antiques and secondhand buys.
1. The best things often come in small packages. Less expensive than full-size sofas, settees can function outside the living room by being the focus piece in the foyer, providing seating at the foot of a bed or complimenting a dining table.
2. Give an outdated lamp a top-down makeover. A modest drum shade can modernise any old fixture. There's no need to splurge on silk as paper delivers a crisper, more contemporary look.
3. The secret to beautifully stocked bookshelves is to scour thrift stores for hardbacks, which do not cost much, then arrange them by colour for extra pizzazz.
4. Empty frames offer endless potential. It's easy to find these castoffs at junk shops for next to nothing. To turn one into a posh bulletin board, cut a piece of foam core to fit and wrap it in burlap. Another possibility is to have professional cut mirrors to size.
5. A frugal fix for homely floors is paint. Refinishing them on your own involves renting a sanding machine and buying supplies like polyurethane. As an alternative, simply clean floors and hand-scuff any rough spots, then apply a few coats of a self-priming floor paint.
6. Expand your seating options. Even affordable dining-room chairs become exorbitant, once you calculate how many you need to surround a table. The smart solution can be a rustic looking bench or two to frame the table.
7. Feel free to scrimp on shelving. It's so easy to knock up some shelving for a home, and by making them yourself, you'll have plenty left over for filling them with decorative stuff.
8. Why pay a premium for matching pieces? When pairs of lamps, chairs, and side tables get separated, their prices usually plummet. Take advantage of the opportunity to shake up an overly symmetrical room.
9. Keep it local when deal-hunting online. Narrow your purview to items you can pick up easily and not have to pay shipping costs.
Article courtesy of www.home-dzine.co.za
About the Author
Townhouse for sale in Honeydew R 695 000
Apartment / Flat for sale in Norton Park R 490 000
House for sale in Witfield R 1 050 000
Townhouse for sale in Flora Park R 750 000
Townhouse for sale in Elarduspark R 688 000
Apartment / Flat for sale in Morningside R 6 500 000
House for sale in Pomona R 1 350 000
House for sale in Cinderella R 1 350 000
Apartment / Flat for sale in Gosforth Park R 550 000
Vacant Land / Plot for sale in Glen Donald A H R 3 700 000
If you are using Internet Explorer 8 or higher, please verify that your Internet Explorer compatibility view settings are not enabled.
For the best browsing experience update to the latest Version of Internet Explorer or try out Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
Please contact our Customer Service Centre for further assistance. Tel. +27 (0)861 111 724