Whether from personal experience or the experience of others, a lot of people have ‘war-stories’ about renovating bathrooms.
Find a reputable plumber who has a plumber’s card approved by the local authorities.
Geberit Southern Africa shares some suggestions that homeowners need to consider before taking on a bathroom refurbishment.
1. Find a reputable plumber who has a plumber’s card approved by the local authorities.
2. Ask the plumber for their references and be sure to call them.
3. Negotiate paying an upfront deposit of 30 percent, a further 30 percent halfway through the project and the final 40 percent on completion of the work and only when you’re satisfied that everything works.
4. It’s a good idea to add 10 percent to your total budget for unforeseen expenses that may occur.
5. Plumbing renovations often involve water interruptions, so make the necessary arrangements beforehand.
6. Double check with your plumber that he will be responsible for the removal of all the rubble.
7. If the plumber tries to talk you out of a product you have chosen, chances are they don’t know how to install the product.
8. All reputable plumbing product manufacturers have technical support available, so let the plumber use this opportunity as it should be a free service.
Double check with your plumber that he will be responsible for the removal of all the rubble.
9. When choosing plumbing products check that they include spares.
10. Confirm with the retailer what the products warrantee covers you for i.e. malfunction of working parts, etc. as warrantees normally don’t cover wear and tear parts such as seals and cartridges. This forms part of your maintenance.
11. To protect your plumbing appliances and geysers ask your plumber to install an inline strainer/filter.
12. Because of the high potential for theft, don’t expose any copper pipes on the exterior of your home.
13. Be aware that while products from different brands may be similar, they are not the same. Often you’ll hear a sales person or plumber say this product is just like that product but this is not true.
Even if your renovation is a small project, budget allowing, involve an interior planner or architect to help you maximise the space and create the ambience you are looking for. Use texture, colour and layout techniques to enhance your space.
14. Where possible choose a dual flush flushing option on your toilet to save water – nowadays you can even get a touchless version of this flushing option.
15. Concealed cisterns can save you up to 200mm of space in the bathroom and using wall-hung toilets creates an elegant and spacious feeling and they are hygienic as you can clean underneath and right around them.
16. Floor-even showers are ideal options as they create the feeling of more space while giving you a different and stylish look, without spending too much.
17. Installing a hand shower by the bath or shower is a useful and handy addition to the bathroom.
18. Even if your renovation is a small project, budget allowing, involve an interior planner or architect to help you maximise the space and create the ambience you are looking for. Use texture, colour and layout techniques to enhance your space.