07 Mar 2013
When applied correctly, paint can alter the look and feel of any room. Plascon shares 13 useful tips that homeowners should keep in mind…
1. Prior to painting your walls a new colour, it’s important to paint a white basecoat beforehand, especially when your original colour is yellow.
2. It is essential to paint a white background on your painted or raw plaster wall when painting up colour samples for the true colour.
Having painted the colour samples you’ve selected, allow the colour to settle for at least two to three days and view the colours at different times in the day.
3. All lighting (including natural sunlight and artificial light) affects the colour of your paint as do shadows in a room.
4. A Tint is when you add white to a colour and a Shade is when you add black.
5. Colours that sit opposite each other on the colour wheel are complimentary e.g. red and green, whilst monochromatic colours are colours that work well with each other and are harmonious.
6. Stir paint with a flat-surfaced paddle to mix it properly.
7. Sand in a circular motion to provide the most adhesive surface possible.
8. A reflective sheen finish in a small room with low light will have a beautiful effect.
9. Pre-wet plants or any vegetation to protect them before removing paint outdoors.
10. A matt finish has the effect of making a small room, with lots of light, appear larger.
11. Sand between coats of varnish when varnishing wood to remove any exposed fibres.
12. Sugarsoap is a neutral, all-purpose cleaning agent, that can be used to clean carpets, tiles, baths, toilets and cars and can even be used to unclog drains.
13. Paint walls from right to left if you’re right-handed (left to right if you’re left-handed) so that you don’t place your free hand on the wall when applying more paint to a brush or roller.
Plascon recently launched the Plascon DIY website, which features helpful home improvement tips and tricks.
Article courtesy of www.plascondiy.co.za
If you are using Internet Explorer 8 or higher, please verify that your Internet Explorer compatibility view settings are not enabled.
For the best browsing experience, update to the latest Version of Internet Explorer or try out Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
Please contact our Property24 Support Team for further assistance. Tel. +27 (0)861 111 724