26 Jul 2013
If you have old picture frames lying around and you are not sure what to do with them, it's time to think outside the box and get creative.
Here are 10 alternative uses for picture frames that you can easily tackle as a do-it-yourself project in a day.
1. Avant-garde style picture frames are a unique way to display books and create a feature at the same time. Leave each frame open at the back and choose a thick frame, around 10cm wide, to provide a shelf for books. Mount them onto the wall with 'L' brackets fitted to the frame at the top and bottom.
2. Vintage picture frames are a novel way to add unusual and one-of-a-kind displays. A vintage picture frame can be painted and fitted with a thin piece of softboard. Add small hooks to hang jewellery.
3. Use Plascon Polvin or chalk paint to paint the frame and then lightly buff with 120-grit sandpaper for a distressed effect, before polishing with antique wax.
4. If you need to fill a blank wall, paint cheap or secondhand picture frames in your choice of colours and mount them onto the wall to create an eye-catching display.
5. Create a display of air plants with a few old and unwanted picture frames. Air plants only require an occasional misting with water to keep them healthy. Thin wire, attached to the back of the frame, can be woven from side to side and top to bottom to support the plants.
6. An alternative to air plants is to use succulents to create a cool-coloured arrangement that can be hung on the wall, or placed on top of a cabinet. For this project you will need to make a box to fit on the back of the picture frame. Cover this with thin mesh and pot up in your choice of succulents.
7. Make a practical notice board for a home office. Have a piece of softboard cut to size and cover with wallpaper or fabric and then use a vintage frame to complement the décor.
8. Create a gallery wall filled with a collection of family photographs in vintage and secondhand frames by casually mounting them on a staircase wall.
9. Repurpose old picture frames by adding a piece of 3mm masonite to the back and painting it with Rust-Oleum Chalkboard spray. Make a menu board for the kitchen, a wipeable shopping list, or a notice board.
10. A collection of secondhand frames filled with vintage mirrors lighten up any work space with old-world charm.
Article courtesy of www.home-dzine.co.za
House for sale in Die Heuwel & Ext R 1 080 000
Townhouse for sale in Doornpoort R 649 000
House for sale in Gezina R 913 000
Apartment / Flat for sale in Gezina R 645 000
House for sale in Heather Park R 1 398 000
House for sale in Cola Beach R 1 780 000
Townhouse for sale in Sonstraal Heights R 999 000
House for sale in Sonstraal Heights R 2 950 000
House for sale in Vierlanden R 1 650 000
House for sale in Stellenridge R 1 695 000
If you are using Internet Explorer 8 or higher, please verify that your Internet Explorer compatibility view settings are not enabled.
For the best browsing experience update to the latest Version of Internet Explorer or try out Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
Please contact our Customer Service Centre for further assistance. Tel. +27 (0)861 111 724